The Marshalls and Their Leesburg Home
Except for three significant changes: a late 19th-century two-story brick bay window, an early 20th century Colonial Revival front porch, and the 20th-century bathrooms – this advertisement from House and Garden magazine describes the manor house as it appeared in 1941 when the Marshalls purchased Dodona Manor from Northcutt Ely as a retreat from their public life in Washington.
The Marshalls made certain interior cosmetic changes to the home, including new wallpaper for the living, dining, and breakfast rooms, and fresh paint for the trim and walls in other rooms. On the exterior, they added a stone patio to the rear of the house, a two car brick garage to the north, and a wooden garden shed at the eastern edge of the property.
While The Marshall House retains its early 19th-century architectural details, present day furnishings and decorative arts reflect the tastes of the 1940s and 50s when the Marshalls lived there. General Marshall, a student of history, appreciated the historic character of the fine old building and its location overlooking the Town of Leesburg.
Ever the peripatetic career Army officer, Marshall remarked to his wife Katherine upon returning from a trip abroad in 1942: “This is Home…a real home after forty-one years of wandering.”